Saturday 14 September 2013

Art Experimentation - Paper Clay Model Horse

Paper Clay model horse. Yes, you read that right. Paper clay? Ah, sounds, interesting...
Well, it is. And this, being my first ever experimentation with paper clay (take note, not paper mache), I figured it deserved some attention. Considering also, that this is my first.... show a little sympathy for the way it turned out. (Nah, it was actually pretty good for 1st attempt.)

As for the clay made of paper, I found this recipe on the internet which used very simple ingredients like toilet paper and glue - and was thrilled with the results! It can be lump if not mixed properly, but when the mixture is right, it goes on/ molds beautifully.
So exciting! Be prepared to see more and more of these 'experiments' using paper clay, as I practice and learn by mistakes (as it goes) my own methods of creating masterpieces. I do, in future, intend to get a lot better at my sculpting art and actually start selling. Hopefully soon.

Shire Horse Model - Handmade, handpainted.
Actually, I think I should take this back to the beginning. To where I started. As I was fumbling about... trying to make something out of all the ideas whirling around.... and this is how it began..
(The original drawing outcut, prior to fixing up... note: I didn't trace this one. I think proportionally, the stomach area should have been longer, as well as perhaps the neck.)
All my lovely cardboard cutout pieces, as I began to create.... an armament and a base for my model. Hmmm. Do the legs stand up, or hide in close to the body... eventually I wedged cardboard between the legs and the base.

The armament covered - foil for padding, covers the cardboard layers and creates excellent base for moulding/sculpting onto. Also lots of sticky tape used at this point.
The same armament/foundation again, only this time it has been finished off with some wonderful layers of masking tape. Not only does it provide for excellent adhesive for the sculpting clay, but the masking tape actually adds padding where necessary. Yay!
During sculpting! This process took about 2 hours after I had made my clay, which took at least an hour also. All up, I think it would have taken quite a few hours (after painting/drying time) to complete this sculpture.
Top view also. This one took a lot of time to mold whist wet.

And now, for some completed photos after the long arduous work of painting. The painting process itself took a minimum of 5 coats of acrylic paint and much detail/photographic references. The completed horse is coloured/designed to look like a Black and White Shire Horse breed, complete with Shire Horse markings, colouration, body physique, docked tail, and characteristics.






No comments:

Post a Comment