Saturday 29 June 2013

Eating - Free from Guilt - you might be captured and not know it...



Guilt. Ah. Yeah. 
I know that monster. 

I've been waiting a while to write this one. God's had it on my heart for some time now, but it certainly hasn't been something I have been able to conquer in a day. Or in a month. Or even in a lifetime. No, I cannot conquer it. Not on my own, anyway. But that's what I want to talk about.

In particular, the guilt associated with food. There are many areas which we can experience guilt about, but for me, and I am sure, many others, this area concerns food, eating, and physical appearance. I have always battled with feelings of shame, condemnation and guilt whenever I had anything to do with food - so much so that it became an occupational hazard. Haha. Part of the cause of that goes back to my own issues of self-esteem (or lack of it) as I mentioned in a topic further back. But some of that simply came from 'opression' that I was experiencing from the devil simply because I was oblivious to anything else.

It's like the example of A raining great big cloud - oftentimes we don't realise just how big it is until we get out from underneath it. Being condemned and always feeling guilty can be like that. We just don't know what its like beyond that. Sometimes, it can even feel like the 'normal'. We accept it. Try to live with it. Yet wonder why, day after day, we struggle so much, feel so terrible, and find it very hard to enjoy life as it should be.

The first step to getting rid of guilt, I believe, is to recognise it. That took me a long time, and some days I do slip back into accepting it. But we really cannot accept this burdenous beast if we are Christians - children of the living God - and have been freed by Christ to live full and free lives.
There is a huge difference between guilt and conviction. Feeling condemned is like death. Conviction is a little nagging to repent and change for the better. Condemnation offers no alternative - but continues to remind you just how bad you are.
Guilt focuses on our bad points, our sins, and flaws - intending to bring you down, down, down until you drop and have no means of escape. But God doesn't want us to be like that!

He has set us free! 

To recognise guilt, you have to believe that their is an enemy out there, and that he is out to get you. You may not even be doing anything threatening, but he is still out to take you out - and not for dinner.

Guilt is deceiving. I recently heard a friend of mine calling herself a 'fattie' for eating lunch. I was horrified to think that she really believed eating (of any sort) would make her fat. But then I soon realised this was my own thought pattern less than 12 months ago. There, in that instance, is an example of the guilt she was feeling.
Guilt is a lie. The enemy is very clever with his methods of warfare, and they always involve distorting the truth. If he can get you to believe that all food is bad, then you will always live in torment, fear and guilt of that food and he will have won - by keeping you captive to these things!

Guilt is not of God.

Once we have recognised guilt, and are feeling (hopefully) righteously angered by its effect on us, we can begin to take our stand against it. For good. That's not to say you will never experience guilt again - I still struggle daily with some things - but you will be freed!

Guilt is not of God.
Romans 8:1 Clearly states:

"Therefore, there is now no condemnantion for those who are in Christ Jesus,

- because throught Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of Life set me free from the law of sin and death."

See that? Freedom! And the first key to kicking guilt for good is to believe that wholeheartedly.
Not just believe, but know. Know, accept, and SPEAK it.

There is a huge power in the spoken word. That's the next step for kicking guilt - and this is the most important step, the one I use daily.

The Audible WORD of GOD.

The Bible lists in the collection of Spiritual amour a Sword which is of the Spirit, and describes it as the WORD of God. We know the word of God is the Bible. The Bible also call sthis sword double-edged and able to penetrate bone and marrow.

Using the Word of God against the enemy is like slashing that sword around - not just wherever, but accurately - and it is a deadly weapon.

Fighting guilt is that simple - quoting the Living WORD of God.

Quote scripture. Audibly. Be specific. It works. Some days I have to quote verses, specific ones, like that one above, for many, many times. Sometimes I forget about guilt and then wonder why I have a crap day because I don't fight it.
Do not accept guilt.
Remember, guilt is not of God. God has given us the keys and tools to be free - so pray and ask for them, ask for protection, for freedom, for joy - for peace.

As for food, even if you splurge, you shouldn't guilt trip yourself or allow guilt to punish you. Tomorrow's a new day - second chances anew. Allow conviction though - if you're eating way to much chocolate cake to be healthy, then slow down and listen to that conviction.

Remember, as far as food is concerned, guilt has no place.

Your body is a temple to the Lord. 

I know, from experience that its hard to to, but treat it as such. And don't try this in your own strength - allow God to strengthen you both in willpower and physically.
Accept no condemnation.

And live free.

No comments:

Post a Comment