Sunday 26 May 2013

A World Without Wheat


Imagine your world if you removed one of the most frequently used grains in all of modern times - wheat. Yes, I am talking about one of the most mass-produced bumper crops of all time. Wheat has, in fact, become so frequently used that the original crops were very, very distinctly different to today's genetically modified products.
It is that modification and 'purification' (to the point of too much refinement) that wages war against my stomach. No, I do not have celiacs disease (thankfully) but I do share a large variety of symptoms with sufferers. For simplicities sake, let's just say I cannot eat wheat at all. Gluten itself does not appear to be a major issue, as barley and oats (both containing this substance) do not affect me at all. As for wheat, well.
Oh - did I mention 95% of commercial foods found at Woolies contain wheat?! No kidding, it's scary once you start looking.

So, where does one go without wheat? Well, that's the incredible thing. There are so many other grains we rarely use because wheat takes centreplace. It is also important to note here that these other grains are not nearly as genetically modified as wheat crops, and therefore a lot better nutritionally. Also, I cannot eat these grains processed as it is that process (as well as addition of preservatives, etc) that affect my stomach.
These are some of the grains I have discovered (so far) that are not only beneficial to eat and stay in my stomach, but are also considerably nutritious and delicious!

Oats



Rolled, ground - as porridge or used as flour in baking, oats are high in fiber and contain some protein. I have found rolled oats particularly useful in a variety of cooking experiments, as a substitute for any of the gluten free flours containing various additives/grains I cannot eat, and therefore cannot use.







Pearl Barley


This beautiful grain is low GI (that means it digests slowly, and stabilised blood sugar levels) and very filling. Not to mention it tastes delicious and cooks up in a similar manner to rice - providing it is cooking for a long time. It is especially delicious as porridge.





Buckwheat


Ah, buckwheat. It has such a beautiful, nutty flavour. Well, I like it. It is especially wonderful in biscuits and does cook up like rice, however it does not expand.  I like eating it sprinkled, raw, on top of cooked porridge. Yum.







Brown & White Rice Varieties


Rice! No more needs saying, really. But, to be honest, I am not a huge fan of rice, especially as it is high GI and mostly starch. bleh. But, brown rice flour is especially useful in cooking. It has its place. Unfortunately though I cannot eat rice noodles as they contain corn.


No comments:

Post a Comment